We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life
But those who must make their journey home across time and miles,
Growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them,
Are carried on the wings of destiny
And placed among us by God's own hands.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Why Did I Ask?

Why did I ever ask the question?  Why, after all we have been through with this adoption, did I ask THE question----"What next?"  Because that question was answered today and it was not the answer I was looking for.

We received an email today from the agency doctor in Ethiopia.  It was apparently brought to someones attention that Amanuel's lower legs were bowed more than usual.  He was taken to an orthopedic physician who performed x-rays and it is thought that he may have a disease whereby your shins can become progressively bowed unless treated.  Treatment consists of bracing to prevent stress on the bones as well as to try to get the bones to grow normally.  I was told that the only way it is "cured or stopped" is by surgery.  The surgery, however, is done only in extreme cases.  Treatment needs to be started soon, however, to prevent severe deformity or disability.  Currently they are treating it as if he had rickets---with high doses of vitamin D.  Great if he had rickets but it will do nothing for the other condition. 

I have no problem dealing with this condition, if he has this condition at all.  Although we requested a healthy infant, we did this to help a child and now he needs our help more than ever. With treatment he should be fine; but the issue now is getting him home to receive that treatment as quickly as possible.  That brings us to the embassy.  Today the agency received the letter from the orphanage stating the circumstances of their inability to run the ad looking for the mother due to the police being uncooperative.  This was hopefully submitted to the embassy today.  Our congressman also e-mailed a copy of the letter to the embassy attached to a letter of his own.  We are hoping this will be it.  Susan (from our agency) says she has a gut feeling it will be.  Of course, as can be expected from our history, I am not so convinced.  I am not setting myself up for disappointment again.

I do think the timing of this medical condition could not have been better; although I would have been happier had it never come.  I feel as it may be another way of God telling us this is the child for us and to not give up the fight for him.  Besides learning that Amanuel shared the same birthday as Troy, this medical condition is right up my alley with being a Physical Therapist.  I can help him, literally.

I have often questioned many times during our adoption process the statement, "God never gives you more than you can handle."  God must think I am a very, VERY strong person for the hurdles he has put in our way of bringing our son home.  I will, however, never ask the question, "What next?, again.

PLEASE pray for us and our son that this will come to an end next week and he will get the treatment and LOVE that he needs.

2 comments:

Sparrow said...

Having followed what you have gone through and having experienced nowhere near the struggle, I KNOW you are an amazingly strong person. If you can handle what has come thus far and can still have such a positive attitude (which is clear to me in your posts), this is just a drop in the bucket. I can feel how tired you are of the process and then this news, but just hang on a little bit more.

Hoping to hear about your light at the end of the tunnel soon,
Susan

Kris said...

My experience has been that God's plans are usually so big that we cannot see them. I know He is with you. Be strong mama! That little boy is coming home SOON!!!! I can feel it.

Thinking of you,

Kristie