We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life
But those who must make their journey home across time and miles,
Growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them,
Are carried on the wings of destiny
And placed among us by God's own hands.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Fight Is On!!

On Monday morning (8/21) I woke up and went downstairs to find my husband sitting at the computer with watery eyes.  We heard something from the Embassy.  My husband said, "Well, you'll be lucky if you can go get him in September, or even October."  Not good.

The embassy was not satisfied with the interview being the end of it.  Now they want three more documents.  Ridiculous, crazy, virtually unobtainable requests. I proceeded to begin crying, yelling, and cursing at the fact that this has been such a long, horrible journey.  Why us?  I took the day off work and was glad I did as I really didn't stop crying until 2:00.  I did a few constructive things that day such as writing a letter to the embassy in response to their requests per the advice of my agency.  I had gathered information about our local congressman who may be able to help us as others had also received help from theirs.  And I waited.

Tuesday when I woke up I was in a fighting mood.  The tears were gone and the boxing gloves came out.  I sent an email to an advocacy group that helps families dealing with embassy issues related to adoption.  I also called the congressman's office to at least get that ball rolling and let them know we may need their help.  And I waited.

When I woke up Wednesday, the response to my letter was there from the embassy.  It was what I expected.  Later that day while at work, my cell phone rang.  It was the congressman!  He listened as I briefly told him our situation and he replied that he would be happy to advocate for us.  He reminded me that he could not force anyone's hand but that he could work with the State Department and see if he could help.  YES!!!   Finally I felt as though someone could help us.  And I waited.

Today has been a good day.  It is actually the only day in this adoption process we have had several bits of good news at once.  We went to the congressman's office and talked to one of his staff.  We told him all the details of our case, including the struggles.  He understood the demands of the embassy just don't apply to our case.  He is going to contact them today and hopefully begin to move mountains.  I received an e-mail from the advocacy group and they want to talk to me on Monday.  I also received an email from the director of our agecny in Ethiopia and they are putting several things into motion.  They are also considering our case a high priority. 

Should I allow myself to feel hopeful?  Should I allow myself to relax, even for a second, and breathe a sigh of relief?  Not yet.  But for once I feel as though someone is on our side.  I will continue to fight until the end and our son is home with us.  And I will continue to wait.

"Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for your God will be with you wherever you go."  Josh 1:9


No comments: