We witness a miracle each time a child enters a life
But those who must make their journey home across time and miles,
Growing in the hearts of those waiting to love them,
Are carried on the wings of destiny
And placed among us by God's own hands.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Two Weeks Home

It has been two weeks home with our son and I can honestly say it is going much better than I expected.  He has definitely become one of the family and seems happy about it.  He is a very easy-going and laid back child who is always smiling.  He has a comedic side and he loves to make others smile and laugh.  He is also quite brilliant.  He mimics everything, is understanding commands, and has picked up several words; including ball, hot, dog, daddy, baby, and Jenna.  I continue to listen for mama but no such luck yet :(

He LOVES the girls and plays with them constantly.  He now enjoys books where in the beginning I don't even think he knew what one was.  He is great at batting the balloon back and forth and loves throwing balls.  He is now riding in the stroller and the carseat without complaint.  He has not found much he doesn't like by way of food with his favorites being bananas, oatmeal, and of course his bottle.  He actually does a little happy dance when he see's his bottle being made! 

He continues to be very attached to me but this is improving.  I can sneak out of the house and he does fine while I am gone.  He just can't see me leave.  I can now put him down for a nap or at night with his bottle and leave the room before he falls asleep.  This is very nice since I was staying in there with him before for up to an hour before he would fall asleep.  Not conducive to getting things done around the house!  I think he is beginning to realize I am not going anywhere.  He is still hesitant to let anyonce hold him other than myself, Troy, and the girls.  Our theory is that he thinks anyone else may take him back to Layla House.


The one thing I have learned over the last two weeks is one's capacity to love a child that is not biologically your own.  In a very short time, no less.  My love for this child is as great as my love for my girls.  I think Troy would agree.  Seeing him bond with this child brings tears to my eyes.  Even though our process was long, heartbreaking, and stressful, I would not discourage anyone from considering adoption.  This child has brought so much love with him and has made all the blood, sweat, and tears to get to him worth it.

1 comment:

Sparrow said...

Love these posts, Kim and so glad you finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel as I referred to it. What a roller coaster. It sounds like things are going wonderful and I am just very, very happy for you and your family.
Susan